Delusions of Grandeur is an album from the nerd punk band HYPERSPACE. ”Delusions of Grandeur” is comprised of thirteen nerdy pop punk songs about Star Wars, girls, pop culture, breakups, and other nerdy stuff. I got a request to review their album months ago and I am just now getting to it. Sorry guys I am just slow like that.
The album has several nerdy such as wondering if the new Star Wars movie will be any god (Episode 7), tributes to both the Borg and Darth Vader, singing about Chewbacca in Vegas, and summarizing the Goonies movie. They also have several songs singing about women who they love; Avril Lavigne, Barbara Gordon, Paula (Abdul), Carrie Fisher, and Rave Girl which is about a generic raver. They have interesting taste in women a.k.a. same as me. It also contains a cover of Nirvana’s “School” from their Bleach album and two strange little songs marked with parental advisory (Screeching Weasel and Untitled).
The album has a nice punk rock sound. Kind of unrefined but still well put together. Though all the songs do sound very much the same, so if you like one song you will must likely like them all. I do recombine checking it out.
HYPERSPACE was formed in Atlanta, GA in 2011. Their musical influences include Nerf Herder, Green Day, Nirvana, and Weezer. The album is available for purchase through iTunes, Amazon, CdBaby, GooglePlay, bandcamp and Spotify.
Now while Star Wars is a more popular and well known sci-fi series, I feel Star Trek is the more nerdy series. There are fewer fan songs and such, but the ones there are seem to by true blue fans. So here are ten songs and bands to check out for all the Trekkies out there.
1. Five Year Mission a five piece rock band with the mission to write a song for each episode of the original Star Trek series. Plenty of rock tracks full of both great melodies and Trekkie references.
2. Luke Ski gives us What’s Up Spock which goes over the various shows of the series and members of the crew.
3. il Troubadore is a Klingon music project to perform the music of the Klingon Empire for Terran audiences. Also they wrote a Klingon ballet.
4. Sci-Fried brings us My Name is Spock, Don’t Phase Me Bro, and The Away-Team with their usually comedy rock style and geeky lyrics.
5. German Klingon Klenginem gives us Klingon versions of songs various famous songs.
6. Redshirts a song by H2Awesome shares with us the thoughts of a red shirt on the Enterprise and what the fates of some his fellow red shirts were.
7. Warp 11 a sci-fi rock band in Starfleet uniforms. Plus lots of sexy time fun.
8. For the filk fans we have this lovely old list of Star Trek filks from the fans.
9. More Klingons with heavy metal Klingon by Stovokor.
10. I do not know what to think of this one, but if you ever wanted to hear a Sulu impersonator doing short spoken covers of songs they you need to check out Phaser Rock.
Honorable Mention: The original Star Trek theme done 8-bit for a little bit of chiptune on here.