With Talk Like a Pirate Day yesterday, it got me thinking of pirate music and I decided to bring you ten pirate themed songs and bands to check out.
1. We have to start off with the official unofficial Talk Like a Pirate Day song from Tom Smith. It talks of the desire to leave the mundane life and to become a pirate, at least for one. Also, check out his Christmas themed pirate song, A Pirate Christmas. A series of Christmas songs changed for the pirate life.
2. Pirates for Sail, the crew of the Drunken Ferret, are a pirate who preform at all kinds of different events performing songs, fire spinning, period firearms demonstrations, general piracy (including history and skits) and, for the kids, face painting and treasure hunts. Their music combines shanty style singing with guitars, violins, and other classic instruments into some real toe tapping tunes. Their third album, Dark Side of the Lagoon, came out this year and can be got at one of their shows iTunes or CDbaby.
3. Pirate Song by Jonah Knight. Mostly known for his paranormal folk songs, this one little track he did has become sort of a signature piece for him; being featured on several podcasts.
4. Space Pirates! by Gekkos, a little rocking ditty about being a pirate in space instead of the oceans. Taking pirates to a different place. For those who want more metal pirate shantys.
5. Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew, a group of rapping pirates. They have appeared on America’s Got Talent and were described like this, “Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew are a collection of rapping pirates. Their costumes are great and their rapping is decent…” Personally I think they are a little bit than just “decent”, I have heard worse. So if you want some fun songs about drinking rum, smacking winches, and capping people with flintlocks, Dan the Scurvy Crew is for you.
6. A Pirates Life by Sci-Fried. A reggae grooving beat that tells you all about pirates and how ninjas suck.
7. Pirate Ship by TV’s Kyle with Insane Ian and Austin Aeschliman. A strange song about them selling around on a pirate ship. I real ear worm, but in a good way.
8. The Brigands, another preforming pirate band with over ten years experience together. Preforming at all kinds of pirate events up and down the coasts.
9. The quintessal steampunk by Abney Park. Again bringing you a different type of pirate, this one an airship pirate. They have a number of songs about their exploits as pirates. You can also check out the novel based on their story or play their table top RPG.
Honorable mention goes to the The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything from the Silly Songs of Veggie Tales. They even got their own movie. Again, no idea why I like it. Guess I am just weird.
And if you want to hear more pirate songs, the German Pirate Party (actual political group) collected a number of different pirate songs from around the world and put them in a free downloadable album. You can get here, but the page is in German. Just click there on the right for the link. Takes a while to download since it is from Germany. I have not gotten a chance to listen to it myself, but it does have Jonah Knight’s song so they do have some good taste.
There it be me hartys.